Central Plateau, North Island

Central Plateau, North Island
View from a friend's farm

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Blooms So Full of Colour

 

The poppy seeds finally germinated, the delicate little stalks grew taller, some stayed so tiny. The poppy flowers are in their glory right now.These are not Opium Poppies, but  might be Shirley Poppies or Angel Wings, summer mixed. Stems range in height  from a mere 5 cm, to  around  50cm. Waving in the breeze, so pretty. I wonder always how  nature  can be so very clever,,tiny black seeds, 3 years old, thrown onto the soil, and many weeks later, beautiful flowers .

over exposure poppy flower

Poppy flower 1

 

Poppy flower 2

 

  poppy flower 3

 

poppy flower 5

 

 poppy flower 7 

poppy flower 9

Quotation of the day from Amy Lowell

“Every castle of the air sleeps in the fine black grains, and there are seeds for every romance, or light whiff of a dream for a summer night”

Greetings from Jean

12 comments:

Susan Heather said...

Aren't they beautiful.

KB said...

So beautiful. I'm happy that it bloomed for you, to bring more smiles to your heart.

Julie Fukuda said...

My grandmother raised poppies for seeds and made delicious cakes.
The poppies here are wild and weeds but I always collect the seeds and toss them into weed fields so we can get a pretty variety of color.

Barb said...

Your poppy mix is so frilly and colorful. I just love these hardy little perennials. They are stars in my garden, too, but my colors are more primary than your lovely pastels.

Urban Rundström said...

Hi! Very fine images of the flowers with theres different colours. /Urban

Nancy J said...

I had strong doubts that the seeds would even germinate, far less bloom,the seeds came from plants on a roadside, planted, but there for everyone to see,That display was stunning, my poor little plants have survived against all odds.The first photo was a mistake with the settings, so a bit of adjustment, and I left it in.I am hoping the seed pods are large enough to get some saved for next year and for friends. Cheers from Jean

Susan Heather said...

Forecast of 25 degrees today - it is good to have a cooler day. The past few days have been way too hot for me and the humidity made it worse.

Nancy J said...

Susan, your pic of the cool water was so refreshing, cooler here too. Cheers from Jean

Jim said...

Aren't these the most beautiful blossoms!! Nature is truly phenomenal Jean especially with your guiding hands in the mix.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

So beautiful! I have tried my hardest to grow poppies, but have never been successful.

Nancy J said...

I do not think I had too much in the growing of these,thank you for your compliments though,today a new colour bloomed, palest mauve. A few photos between the showers. Cheers from Jean

Anonymous said...

You have to pay the price but if you do you can only win.

7xKee http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
dYwo http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
mUvp http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
1xFuo http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
3dXyf http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
7aEdf http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
8tMfu 9uTan 8mLev 0qCnv 6kBhp 6hLgw 7wHkq 3eOfi 4eQzm